Saturday, August 16, 2008

The drying rack

In June, as I was getting to know a new man in my life, I bought a drying rack at Bed, Bath and Beyond. It was a simple wooden one that should have been easy to put together and add into my normal laundry routine. The same evening I bought it, I sat on the floor in my living room carefully reading the instructions and identifying each piece. With directions in hand, I began to build a drying rack.

Thirty minutes later I was frustrated, agitated and my drying rack was laying in heap. I couldn't get it to work. Regardless of the effort and time I put in to trying to set up this drying rack, it wouldn't stay. 2 1/2 months later and having just snipped the tie to the former new man, it seems as though this drying rack symbolizes the relationship.

With both, as soon as I thought "hey, this could work out" it would fall apart again. Set backs, frustration, disappointment. I wonder why, with my drying rack I gave up on it within a few days and threw it out, while with the man I let him linger around for a few months - continuing to set back up and fall down. It's energy exhausted and time wasted. Lesson learned.

No comments: